Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Here ya go Liann! Church...

I'm sitting at Burlap and Bean, great music playing, my pals having a good time working, and I can say right now this is going to be a loooooooooooong post. The topic of Church is well... one that i have a lot to say about. So here goes... I grew up in Folcroft Union Church, My Father is the youth Pastor there. I will not say too much about that other than the fact that there was a time when it was everything to me, then that was over and I felt I had reason to be upset with this Church. So I removed myself from Church and had no interest in it for some time. Then WWC came around. And I was able to see and be a part of a community that was so reflective of what I had always wished for in a Church that I began to re-think being apart from a Church. One of the major things that truly felt like Church and sparked a longing to find a reflection of the Kingdom in which to attend was Family Time. Particularly second semester. It was second semester when i was blessed with the opportunity to lead my brothers and sisters in worship from time to time. It was the unity that was felt in those moments that made me realize that a meeting place called a Church could actually foster an intimacy and closer relationship with God. So, one day I decided to have a chit-chat with Mark Jalovick (bless his soul<3 ). At WWC it was kinda sorta a requirement to be a part of a local Church and i was not... I wasn't ready. So within this 2 hour conversation with Mark I asked (and admitted) that I didn't go to Church and asked what his thoughts were regarding that. So he said I was in a phase and that to get out of it I should evaluate what it is about the Church that I didn't like and also what the Church is really supposed to be. He reminded me that the Church is a human institution inspired by a divine being. The attempt is to be an expression of the divine through this human institution. This can never be done, it's like in Romans, we all fall short, I think this applies to Churches as well. So with that in mind i decided to seek out a Church when i returned from Wisconsin. I found Blue Route Vineyard and I love it. I have began to understand and experience the Holy Spirit's role in my life and I really appreciate being able to participate in the worship. Furthermore, I believe in much of what they do especially small groups. I realized that what I had in Wisconsin was a Church and in it there were many small groups. They brought different aspects of the whole to life. This is the idea put in place at BRV. Lastly I am blessed to be a part of a movement called BRVHEART. This is the Churches ministry to end sex slavery and we are in the very beginning stages but it's a group made of BIG hearts and even BIGGER dreams. So what have I learned about the Church through all of this? Well, that there really is a reflection of God's love that I fit into and it's called the blue route vineyard. That within a Church i can really maximize my potential as a disciple. There is really a place that is not content with being stagnant, with doing "enough" or willing to settle for anything less than everything God wants. I'm not trying to sell this Church to anyone. Merely explaining that God has led me to a place where i can progress as an individual and disciple. As well as, help other's progress. I am thankful for sure that God led me to where I am.

P.S. given the fact that this is merely a personal blog i'm not proofreading or spellchecking much ;)

Spread the Love,

-Ethan Pierce

2 comments:

  1. Ethan,

    if you told these things to your younger self last September, you probably would have jumped out of the "conversation canoe"..
    Thank you for letting God work in you as He has. You are one of those people who are so contagiously alive, especially when in your niche..so I could not be happier that when it comes to church, you have found this niche in BRV.
    I would love to visit this place..and canoe to Canada again oneday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. well liann you are more than welcome to join me at BRV maybe over spring break? and heck we should definitly canoe BWCA again someday for sure. i"m pretty set on it. ALSO, thank you so much for your kind words my friend it really means a lot. and yes if i could go back in time and tell my former self where God would have me by march 2011, i'dda jumped clean outta that canoe!

    ReplyDelete